A smartwatch is a digital wristwatch having computing capabilities and other functionalities. They can help you track your health data, answer phone calls, read notifications, and much more. You need to synchronize them with a smartphone with internet connectivity to function. Few high-end smartwatches do not require a phone synchronization to function.
Like wristwatches, smartwatches also tell the time. With the rapid growth in technology, they are getting more affordable and packed with more interesting features.
What are the types of smartwatches?
Smartwatches are available in a variety of styles and designs. They have different features and operating systems. Smartwatches can be either compatible with Android or iOS or both. Generally, smartwatches are classified depending upon the type of operating system they use.
- Apple smartwatch – This runs only on the Apple Watch OS operating system. They are compatible only with iPhones and have the highest collection of apps than any other smartwatch. You cannot use third-party watch faces and apps but can only use the ones that come pre-installed with them.
- Fitbit smartwatch – They have the company’s operating system and inbuilt apps. They are compatible with both Android and iOS smartphones and have few third-party apps.
- Google Wear OS-based smartwatch – These smartwatches run Google Wear OS operating system. They are compatible with both Android and iOS but work better with Android smartphones. Most smartwatch companies use Google Wear OS to make their brand of smartwatches. Hence, you have a wide range of brands and designs of Wear OS-based smartwatches to choose from.
- Samsung Tizen OS-based smartwatches – These run Samsung’s Tizen operating system. They are more compatible with Android than iOS smartphones. They offer a great collection of first-party and third-party apps.
What are the salient features of the smartwatch?
When buying the first device you need to understand the smartwatch’s importance, you can select them based on your choice of brand, design, and style. But, to get the healthy benefits from your smartwatch, you must look for some salient features in them. Here are a few important features that your smartwatch must include.
- Must be waterproof – This feature allows you to wear your smartwatch all the time to track your health, irrespective of weather conditions.
- Better battery life – A smartwatch must last at least two days on a single charge. The battery life is generally affected by the processor, screen, battery capacity, and software. Your smartwatch must have good software optimization to increase the battery life.
- Must include Smartphone features – Your smartwatch is a mini smartphone on your wrist. Hence, it must allow you to make and receive phone calls without taking your smartphone out of your pocket. It helps you access your social media, calendar, emails, messages, and other notifications and alerts.
- Health and wellness sensors – Your smartwatch must have health and wellness-related sensors like an accelerometer, a gyro sensor, GPS, and a heart-rate monitor. It may also have a barometer, ECG, and temperature sensor. Smartwatch for active people must be able to track steps and other physical activities like running, swimming, and cycling. It must also be able to measure your blood pressure and monitors your sleep quality.
- Availability of accessories, such as different styles of smartwatch straps, wireless charges, and other phone accessories.